Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I still don't know if I will ever vote again...

For a long time the way I formed my political beliefs from my theological understandings has caused me to struggle with the polarization that I see in polotics in America. I won't go into what I believe here, because of my pastoral role and the jeopardy that such a discussion could put my church into.

However, I will post a couple links to a new organization that is wholly Christian and not Democrat or Republican. I think it's a good time for this conversation to finally be taking place. I first heard of this on the Colbert Report when Campolo was the guest and was very intrigued. It seems to be picking up steam. The ramifications are also interesting.

Tony Campolo on Red Letter Christians

Tony Jones

I wonder what will come of all this...as it seems Emergent is moving in a political direction...

As far as the title of this post, I'm 29 and have only voted once. It was for a guy that promised us improvements to the higway - and he came through...you would think I would vote more...but now I'm not a citizen where I live, so it's not even an option...

7 comments:

T said...

I see your dilema. I too, have the dilema of ever voting. When the only choices are either bad or worse. I can vote for a person who will encourage more and better things for schools but will also be supporting abortion and same-sex marriage, or i can vote for the guy who wants to raise taxes but won't be supporting the abortion and same-sex marriage stuff. It's a tough choice.

Anonymous said...

T I think you have a few things mixed up

S-for schools, does not want to raise taxes, not for same-sex marriage

K-supposedly for schools, wants to raise taxes, I don't think he cares either way about the marriages or abortions

How do I know this, I like politics and my father just happened to go to school and be in band with S.

Anonymous said...

and if you're not the one mixed up, maybe I am, but the description didn't seem to fit each other from what you gave.

James said...

S, K ? are those people who are actually running? I didn't even know there was an election going on....!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember Jesus being particularly political. Yes, he had definite social values, but none of them seem to be voiced by any party. Maybe the red letter Christians come closer, but it seems they are missing the boat too. Is there a place where we are admonished to politically wipe out sin ala Republicans? Or to politically eliminate poverty and the stupidity and immorality it can lead to through its limited choices ala the Demoncrats? Or are we all sinners? Gay and straight. Rich and poor. Americans and Iraqis. I see absolutely no solution to the problems of humanity in political entities. Only through the body of Christ.

James said...

Actually I think that Jesus was political - in that day religion was politics.

AllieB said...

Religion is still politics, or darn close. But do we have to play the game of politicizing it?