Monday, October 23, 2006

Missional Halloween

Bob Hyatt posted some thoughts from someone else that is a more redeeming and less seculsion view of Halloween. This is a great example of what I am talking about in what I see the church (american version) doing that seems to run counter to what I see in Jesus. We change the name to harvest party and run our own mirror event that is much "safer" - I don't uinderstand why the heck we can't just call it halloween - do we honestly think that if we change the name it changes anything (note: we can email NBC 750,000 times and get them to bleep out the world "Hall@$%^#n")?

This really matches me and Heather's view of the old trick or treat night. We bought a monkey load of candy the first year we were in Albany and had 2 kids come - from next door. And we watched for them - nobody...

In our town everybody gets in the car and drives to the new subdivisions and gets the good candy. I guess I live in the hood? I think that says something sad about my town, also, about how we don't gather together as a hood and try to live. Instead we get in our cars and go get from the rich....interesting...

No comments: