Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Chris Seay, Faith of my Fathers

Chris Seay is the pastor of Ecclessia in Houston and is the founding pastor of UBC in Waco. This is the first book I've read of his and I have seen a couple of his nooma-ish videos up on the Work of the People pages. The book is a dialogue of his brothers, father and grandfather who have/are in pastoral ministry. It moves along topically and is mostly engaging - just like any conversation - there are parts where I could check out either because I had worked through what they were working through or just because I read it while I was sick (more than likely the latter). The book does not have the throughly edited feel that gives a bunch of great one-liners; it does have the authenticity that makes a glimpse into the inner workings of pastoral ministry a very beautiful sight.

Donald Miller also makes a couple guest appearances - providing a little fuel to the "burn-dobson-at-the-stake fire. I thought it was rather silly how much time was devoted to slamming Dobson. I aggreed with most of it, even, but am surprised that people are paying for a book to hear things that I'll just tell them for free (taking tongue out of check...).

A couple of quotes that struck me and a couple questions I have...

p.64 "To love hurting people is exhausting, and I could not ignore the way Papa's gaze saddened when we talked about his three years of depression. We are frail human beings. Working for God does not make us invincible - it only makes our failures more painful."

>> How do we, as a denomination, as a church, as individuals, care for pastors who have/are painfully failed?

p. 163 "As a pastor, it would be a great thing to be involved in an interracial marriage because you would make so many more connections."

>> This is true, it has happened for me and Heather, especially living in the South for a few years were racism is a bigger issue. What is the history of racism in the pacific northwest? Last night the sandwhich artist at Subway asked me if we were celebrating MLK jr's birthday or death - she had no idea he was murdered...racism here exists, but it is ignorance against hispanics and asians - not from a history of slavery. (At least here we don't call taking advantage of hispanic workers slavery...) So - when will the American chruch get over racism? My best guess will be when a white-run America ceases to be the dominant world power. When America finally has to ask for help, the pride of racism will need to either stop - or it will destroy this country. I know that sounds alarmist, but you can blame Dobson for that... :)

No comments: