Thursday, January 18, 2007

Terrorism and Justice

It seems that the Pentagon has set up rules for the trials of suspected terrorists. Only the rules are kinda surprising. You can click on the title link and read it. For a long time I have had a problem with holding suspected terrorists (a la Gauntanamo Bay - which I polly can't spell) without a trial. To me, it seems to undermine foundational principles upon which America was founded. I feel the same way about torture. Yet, I am not naive. I understand what a war is and I understand the toll that these kinds of things take on human beings. It is a sad situation all around.

I am against torture, yet I am against terrorism. I am against extended detention without trial, yet I am against freedom through judicial loop-holes.

In any case, we must continue to pray for our leaders because they have to make decisions, sometimes, where there is no right choice...only a choice of which wrong is worse...

No comments: